If you have a dog, then you know that sometimes their breath does not smell the best. There are many reasons that your dog could be experiencing bad breath. Fortunately, we have four dog treats for eliminating bad breath…hopefully for good.
Causes of Bad Breath:
There are many reasons why a dog can have bad breath, some more serious than others. It’s a good idea to know what you’re dealing with, especially if the cause needs to be checked out by a professional.
- Kidney Disease— If your dog’s breath smells like ammonia, then there’s a good chance you need to have them seen by a vet immediately. This smell happens when your dog’s kidneys begin to shut down and fail to eliminate your dog’s waste products.
- Gum Disease – Infections in the mouth, gums and teeth can lead to some pretty nasty dog breath. Sometimes you can tell this is the issue by just looking into your dog’s mouth. Buildup of tartar on your dog’s teeth, obvious rot and excessive redness of the gums are signs that your dog needs a cleaning. Check with your vet if you think your dog’s breath is caused by gum disease or tooth decay.
- Eating Something Bad – Dogs are known to eat anything and everything. This can cause some serious bad breath, and sometimes that’s all that comes of it. Other times you may need to involve a vet, if the substance was in any way dangerous.
- Foreign Objects – Again, a dog doesn’t really care what they’re eating, and that includes rotting dead animals and feces. These items, among others, can get stuck in their teeth and cause some serious bad breath. Check your dog’s mouth for foreign objects if you think that may be the cause.
- Type of Food – There are some kinds of dog food approved for consumption that cause some nasty breath. Every dog is different, and it’s up to you to figure out which dog food is best for your pet’s health and breath.
Dog bones are a great way to eliminate tartar and plaque. There are many different kinds of bones, and its up to you to find the best one for your dog. (Please note that excessive chewers can chew through softer bones rather quickly and may end up ingesting pieces, which can lead to health problems.)
Good thing one of the best ways to eliminate bad breath is through treats, because who doesn’t love to spoil their fur baby?
Best Dog Treats For Eliminating Bad Breath:
- Pedigree Dentastix Dog Treats – made specifically to clean your dog’s teeth, reduce tartar, and freshen breath, these treats are perfect for the job. Coming in multiple flavors, you can find your dog’s favorite, as well as the size for your particular breed.
- Old Mother Hubbard Mother’s Solutions Minty Fresh Breath Natural Dog Treats – while the name is a mouthful, the treat is a healthy, minty oven baked treat that your dog will love. These treats are all natural and can be given as many times as you like, unlike some of the other kinds that involve chemicals to help clean your dog’s mouth.
- Greenies Dental Dog Treats – approved by the Veterinary Oral Health Council, these treats help control tartar and plaque. With different flavors, your dog will be satisfied, and so will you.
- Milk Bone Brushing Chews – for daily oral care, these bones are proven to be as good as brushing. Your dog’s mouth will be cleaner, fresher and healthier with the use of these chews.